Monday, April 7, 2008

Cinquain

Here's a poem my fun-loving grade threes wrote in class for me about my whiteboard eraser. This was about 10 minutes after they'd just been introduced to the idea of poetry, and about 2 min after learning about cinquains.

eraser
red, rectangle
cleaning, hiding, disturbing
the teacher always loses it
marker's rival

I swear, these kids are so smart...they are light years ahead of many of the native English speakers I taught back home.

PS When I asked why "disturbing," they said it was because we spend so much time looking for it...erm, yes...organized teacher that I am...

4 comments:

In another land said...

And they wrote this in English?
I hope you replied with a VG. Do they have any interest in haiku? Is there any rivalry with Japan?--ND

___________________ said...

That's impressive

Anonymous said...

Wow, I am very impressed. Poetry is one thing my children have no experience with as I don't know poetry...at all.. I never learned it in school and can't seem to learn it as an adult.

Unknown said...

I can't say I know a whole lot about poetry either...but there are lots of good resources on the net, and things like Cinquains and Haiku are fairly easy to teach, esp if you teach them how to use a thesaurus as well.