Thursday, January 29, 2009

Wat Arun~Temple of the Dawn

Our first time on the river, Friday, I took this picture of Wat Arun as we cruised by:
Then, on our last day in Bangkok, Saturday, I left my friends to their shopping in a crowded weekend market and tuk-tukked my way back to the river. 10 cents and 2 minutes later, I was all ferried across the river and at the gates of Wat Arun:
Upon entering, I beheld such a strange sight. People kneeling and croching around this flowering tree...clapping at it!

I ~think~ the flowers opened upon being applauded. However, it was really a mystery to this foreigner, because I never saw any flower move at all. Maybe they had had enough of their vanity for one day.

It was a special day in Thailand (I forget why), so lots of people were at the temple this Saturday. One of the rituals appeared to be ladling oil into these lamps:
Resident Buddha:And then I made my way to the tower itself. "Steep" doesn't cut it when describing these stairs. As you may see, there are 2 sets of stairs one can climb: the first, not-so-steep set, and the second I-may-as-well-be-a-ladder set:View from first set:
~huff, puff~ Looking down the ladder-stairs from the second landing:View from second landing:
Moi. You can see the Grand Palace across the way there:
A solitary, satisfactory finale to my stay in Bangkok.

No comments: