Tuesday, January 20, 2009

Meditations on a Rockface

We interrupt the series on Thailand to bring you this totally cool mountain mini-temple. Me, A, & J hiked up Gwanak Mtn again a couple of weeks ago, despite biting, bitter winds. Near the top, there is a temple, which is where I'm standing as I take this photo. If you walk up and around for another 3-4 minutes, you can visit this little temple room right on the cliff. It is filled with candles, statues of Buddha, and has room for maybe 3 people to sit inside. Truly lovely.

Here we are climbing over and around the rock outcrop to reach the little room. You can see its roof on the right:
The view from the room. This is actually looking toward my side of Seoul (the eastern side), and I was able to see the bridge over the Han River near my home...but here it is obscured:Me and J at the 'real top.' J being a wimp about the cold, as the English are wont to do in Korea. hehehe Mind you, it was pretty bleeping chilly, I admit:Me & my chickie, A, the less-wimpy Canadians:
Hot candles in a cold wind:

You need not do anything.
Remain sitting at your table and listen.
You need not even listen, just wait.
You need not even wait, just learn to be quiet, still, and solitary.
And the world will freely offer itself to you unmasked.
It has no choice, it will roll in ecstasy at your feet.
~Franz Kafka "Learn to be Quiet."

No comments: