Friday, February 15, 2008

It's Nearly Time...


...to leave these moonlit, snowy fields. To leave the stars blinking in the cold night air high above the Belleisle Bay. To leave the warm wood stove, the sleeping dog, my hot coffee and stack of books. To leave the flooded, icy roads winding through the back woods of New Brunswick. To leave my baby brothers to their sliding hills and snow forts; to leave my dad in the workshop and my mom in the kitchen. To leave my other siblings to the grand old city of Saint John where they work and live. Yes, it is time to go.

To Korea. To teach English, to speak some words of a different language, to see things I have never seen, to learn. To see, how do you live, over there? And there, and there? It’s time to travel. Oh, sad as I am (and sad I am indeed) to leave, the countries I have yet to see are calling my name. I will spend a year in Korea and then I will go look at the world.

So thank you my friends and my family, for taking care of me. It’s time to move on. Don’t worry...I’ll be able to speak to you from the Land of the Morning Calm via the wonders of webcams.

Love, love.

3 comments:

Cricket on the Hearth said...

Beth Spath? What's a spath???

In another land said...

I leave and heave
A sigh and say goodbye
So long, Farewell, my little butterfly. See you in Paris, some time, some year.xxxAuntie

Unknown said...

Auntie: thank you. Lovely.

Brother: you're a spath, you dork. "Beth's Path."